Your research paper grade will account for 4% of your total grade and will include grades from three separate assignments:
- Participation in a Departmental Information Activity which will occur during lecture on Monday Sep 13.
(Weight = 20)
- Participation in the Perspectives Fair during recitation on Tue Sep 21 and completion of a survey afterwards.
(Weight = 20)
- A Research Paper (see details below) in which you will attend two Perspectives Seminars given by seniors in our
twelve different engineering degree programs and answer questions about them.
(Weight = 100)
Research Paper Requirements
Due: No Later Than Sunday, Nov 21, at 11:59 p.m.
The purpose of this paper is to explore different engineering disciplines and the kinds of activities being conducted in the various engineering programs at UT. Your finished paper needs to be upload by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Nov 21, 2021.
We have planned a series of twelve Perspectives Seminars in which seniors in each of the twelve engineering degree programs offered at UT will give a presentation about their curriculum and experiences they have had such as undergraduate research, study aboard, co-ops, internships, student societies, 5-year BS/MS, etc.
- You are required to attend at least two of these seminars and write a short paper (see required format below) summarizing what you learned. (You are welcome to attend more than two, but you can only discuss two in your paper.)
- The paper will be due on Sun Nov 21.
- The schedule is given below. You must attend the seminars you report on in person. However, these seminars will be recorded and made available afterwards. If you can document that you have a time conflict (e.g., another class) at the time of the seminar that most interests you, you can seek permission (contact Dr. Kit,
before the seminar
to view it online. If you have serious conflicts that would prevent you from attending any of these seminars, contact Dr. Kit as soon as possible.
Paper Format and Content
- At the top of the report include the title "EF 157 Research Paper," your name and section.
- At the beginning of the paper, include the titles of the two seminar, and the names of the presenters.
- State which major you are planning to pursue and explain why. If you are undecided, explain why you are interested in pursuing an engineering degree.
- For each of the seminars you attended include the following:
- A detailed description of one topic that was presented (i.e., research, internships, etc.)
- Brief descriptions of other topics covered
- Something that surprised you
- Something that you might want to pursue further (either in this discipline or another)
- Discuss whether attendance at these seminars reinforced your choice of engineering major or caused you to want to switch to (or at least consider) another major.
- The paper should be about 500 - 700 words in length.
Upload PDF file that contains your Research Paper here
(we are still working to add seminars for Computer Engineering and Civil Engineering)
Even though there are 2 different Mechanical Engineering seminars, you need to write your paper on 2 different programs
(i.e, not both ME).
|Wed Sep 1 at 7:15PM||Tickle 405||Materials Science and Engineering, Mollie Daniell||Zoom Recording|
|Thur Sep 9 at 6:10PM||Dougherty 416||Nuclear Engineering, Kenny Bott||Zoom Recording|
|Thur Sep 16 at 6:10PM||Dougherty 416||Computer Science, Owen Queen||Zoom Recording
|Wed Sep 22 at 7:15PM||Tickle 405||Mechanical Engineering I, Heidi Seuss||Zoom Recording (unfortunately there is no audio)
|Wed Oct 6 at 7:15PM||Tickle 405||Aerospace Engineering, Sam Pankratz||Zoom Recording
|Thur Oct 14 at 6:10PM||Dougherty 416||Electrical Engineering, Will Trout||Zoom Recording
|Wed Oct 20 at 7:15PM||Tickle 405||Civil Engineering, Lily Parker & Sam Jurek||Zoom Recording|
|Thur Oct 21 at 6:10PM||Dougherty 416||Industrial Engineering, Rachel Fisher||Zoom Recording|
|Wed Oct 27 at 7:15PM||Tickle 405||Biomedical Engineering, Megan Hines||Zoom Recording|
|Thur Nov 4 at 6:10PM||Dougherty 416||Biosystems Engineering, Brea Sorrells||Zoom Recording|
|Wed Nov 10 at 7:15PM||Tickle 405||Mechanical Engineering II, Kassidy Boone||Zoom Recording|
|Thur Nov 11 at 6:10PM||Dougherty 416||Chemical Engineering, Olivia Lazar||Zoom Recording|
|Thur Nov 18 at 6:10PM||Dougherty 416||Computer Engineering, Vishal Aiely||Zoom Recording|