## Your MATHWORKS account
For EF 230, you will need to create a Mathworks account and utilize MATLAB to complete assignments. Follow the instructions below for "Steps to Create a MATHWORKS Account". Once you create or update your Mathworks account and license, you can:
cloud based MATLAB accessible from any device with a web browser. Integrates with Matlab Drive for managing your files on the cloud.
You can also download MATLAB
connector for automated syncing of your matlab drive.
||Install and Use the MATLAB App on your laptop or computer
- To install it now - after you create a Mathworks account [click here for MATLAB installation instructions](#install)
- **Very important note**: If you already have MATLAB installed on your computer, please [click here for important info](#i_have_matlab). A standard installation of MATLAB will not have the toolboxes required for EF230,
you'll need to uninstall it and do a **new custom installation of MATLAB 2021b** to download the required toolboxes.
|Use MATLAB Mobile: ligthweight version of MATLAB for smartphones and tablets.
Allows acquisition of smartphone sensor data to the Mathworks CLOUD/laptop.
This may be a fun tool to incorporate your team projects. |
||In addition you can access MATLAB
through the UT APP SERVER by navigating to apps.utk.edu.
This allows you identical access to the UT computer labs.
The App server connection can be slow and does not have all required toolboxes for the course, therefore the MATLAB App or MATLAB online is a better option.
If you use the APP server you'll want to create a VPN connection to your H drive.
Link to guidelines for mapping your H:drive on your laptop.
Help can be found here: How to use Apps@UT.
## Steps to Create a Mathworks Account
1. Go to Mathworks Web Portal and click Sign in to get started as the figure shown below.
Portal link: [https://www.mathworks.com/academia/tah-portal/university-of-tennessee-536654.html](https://www.mathworks.com/academia/tah-portal/university-of-tennessee-536654.html)
2. Click "Sign in to get Started"
![sign in windown](/ef230-2021-08/m1/matlab-1-intro/img/signin.png)
3. On the CENTRAL AUTHENTICATION SERVICE page, Log in with your UT NetID and Password.
4. After you log in your UT account, you will be directed to the Mathworks web page. If you do not have a Mathworks account with UT email, click Create to create a Mathworks account.
5. Create a MathWorks Account Profile using your unique, university assigned NetID and email
address with domain ending with vols.utk.edu (if you were employed by the University prior to being a student
and have a utk.edu address use that)
![UTK netid input](/ef230-2021-08/m1/matlab-1-intro/img/netid.png)
6. Verify Your UT Email -
Go to your university email mailing address that you entered, open the email sent to you from
firstname.lastname@example.org and click the Verification link.
Install a local copy of MATLAB on your computer
Note: The local installation is very large (33GB) and time-consuming (~100 minutes). Begin the installation at a time when it can run uninterrupted.
1. The UTK license renews every year. For your first install and every August, download the current UTK licensing instructions.
- Use this [Link to the OIT Download site](https://webapps.utk.edu/oit/softwaredistribution) to acquire the **current** UT activation instructionsto create or update
your Mathworks account.
- Enter your UT netid and password (and 2 factor authentication!)
- Look for MATLAB under MathWorks, Inc. and click on MATLAB Installation.
- The link will download an **aspx or pdf file** with all of the installation/ renewal instructions for creating a Mathworks Account and for obtaining the latest UTK Academic - Total Headcount license.
- **Follow the instructions very carefully** to set up a Mathworks account if you haven't already. You must **use your utk.edu email address** when you register with the Mathworks web site to get the license for FREE.
2. Log in your MathWorks account, go to My Account in the upper right under your user name / intials. Under the "My Software" list and click the Download DownArrow
3. Download the latest release (R2021b). Locate matlab_R2021b in your downloads folder, double click to run it. Continue through the prompts for Installation location and License. At the prompt **Select Products** use the **Select All** checkbox to select all products so all checkboxes populate as shown below. **Select All** will provide you the MATLAB products
required for this course.
![MATLAB Product Installer - Select products](/ef230-2021-08/img/selectproducts.png)
- If you want to slightly minimize your install time and size you can use the narrowed down toolbox list shown in Fig 1 below, please DO NOT pick and choose products on your own. Most of the commands and tools we use in EF230 reside in these toolboxes, if you do not have ALL the required toolboxes you will not be able to complete quizzes and assignments. You may find you want to use another toolbox for your team projects so the best option is to **Select All** products.
4. Once MATLAB is installed, type **ver** on the command line in MATLAB to verify that at a minimum you have all the toolboxes installed as shown below.
5. VIP - DO NOT skip this step!! You also must install 4 additional "Add-on" packages. Open MATLAB, navigate to Home - Add-ons - Get Add-ons (or run the command supportPackageInstaller from the command line). Select and install the following:
- Deep Learning Toolbox for Alexnet Model (use the search bar to search for "alex")
- MATLAB Support Package for USB Webcams (search for "usb")
- MATLAB Support Package for Raspberry Pi Hardware (search for "pi")(no need to do the setup part - just install it)
- ROS Toolbox (search for "ROS")
If you already have MATLAB installed on your computer
It is likely you don't have the required products and toolboxes for this course, since a custom installation is required, further, we need to use the latest version, MATLAB 2021b.
Figure 1 below has a checkmark in front of the EF230 required toolboxes. In MATLAB, type **ver** on the command line for a listing toolboxes in your installation. Verify you have MATLAB 2021b and all the EF230 required toolboxes listed below. In addition, perform step 5 above.
If you are missing one or more of the toolboxes
shown with a checkmark below, **please follow these recommended guidelines**:
- Toolboxes must match the release of MATLAB they are installed into, e.g. you should not install the current (2021b) toolboxes into MATLAB R2019.
If you do not have MATLAB 2021b installed, **uninstall your old version of MATLAB and run a new install of MATLAB 2021b** and select the checkbox to install ALL available products and toolboxes or use the configuration shown below. (You can install multiple versions of MATLAB on your computer but it is not recommended - it takes extra disk space and you may accidentally mix versions.)
- If you already have MATLAB 2021b, you can download the [MATLAB installer](https://www.mathworks.com/downloads/), Click on the blue button for the latest release, login to your account, launch setup.exe and follow the prompts until you see the option to select additional toolboxes to download and install. Either select all or select all shown below.
Figure 1. MATLAB toolboxes required for EF230 (if you don't see a toolbox listed as an option, then you do not need the checkmark).